Want to know one of my top tips for balancing your period hormones?
EAT. MORE. VEGGIES.
Eating more vegetables is the best way to add more fibre to your diet. Fibre is so important for hormone health, as it supports your body to eliminate the hormones it no longer needs, preventing a build up of extra hormones like oestrogen, which can contribute to period pain and PMS if it gets too high.
I could eat these avocado pesto zucchini noodles EVERY DAY!!!
They’re super creamy, delicious, healthy AND packed full of nutrients, fiber and healthy fats
You can also top the noodles with WHATEVER you feel like your body needs – foods with protein, vitamin C, magnesium, zinc, B vitamins, etc.
It is an amazing meal to support your body in achieving healthy hormones for a healthy period!
It’s a pretty quick meal too! The zucchini takes only about 5 minutes to cook, in which time you can make the avocado pesto in the Nutribullet.
I like to add nutritional yeast to my avocado pesto.
This might be an ingredient you’ve never heard of before, but you’re going to want to add it to your shopping list!
Nutritional yeast has a ‘cheesy’ flavour, but it isn’t cheese! It’s not dairy at all. (You can read more about it here).
Nutritional yeast adds so much of the flavour to this dish. It almost tastes like parmesan cheese. The great thing about it is that it is also high in B vitamins, including B12, which offers additional period cycle benefits!
Zucchini Noodles (serves 1)
For the zucchini noodles:
- 2 large zucchinis
- 2 cloves garlic
- Soy sauce or Tamari (gluten free) or coconut aminos (soy free)
- Spiralise your zucchinis using a vegetable spiraliser to make the noodles
- Sauté garlic in a fry pan and add soy sauce, tamari OR coconut aminos (depending on your dirty requirements. Alternatively, use water or olive oil).
- Add your spiralled zucchini noodles to the pan with the garlic and stir fry until cooked. This takes approximately 5-7 minutes
- Stir the noodles occasionally so they cook evenly
While your noodles are cooking, you can blend up your avocado pesto sauce
For the avocado pesto
Blend in a Nutribullet or blender:
– Half an avocado (or more if you want!)
– A hand full of cashews (or another of your favorite nut)
– A handful of fresh parsley
– Juice of half a lemon
– Salt and pepper
– 1 tsp ground flax seeds
– 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast (you can buy this from a health food store. It has a ‘cheesy’ flavor! YUM!)
Once your noodles are cooked, remove them from the heat and stir through the avocado pesto. Plate immediately so the heat from the pan doesn’t cook the avocado pesto.
You can top your noodles with as much or as little as you like. Here are some of my favorite add ins:
– Crispy oven roasted chickpeas
– Cherry tomatoes that have been heated in a pan for 3 minutes
– Pumpkin seeds (extra magnesium to fight period symptoms)
– More nutritional yeast!
– Pine nuts
– Black sesame seeds